- Handicrafts Information Guide
- Antique Wood Crafts
- Wood Furniture
- Garden Decoratives
- Wooden Corporate Gifts
- Wooden Decoratives
- Wood Kitchen Accessories
- Wood Shutters
- Wooden Toys & Games
- Wood Statues
- Wood Blinds
Welcome to the Online B2B Marketplace for Wooden Handicrafts Manufacturers, Suppliers, Wholesalers and Exporters. This directory of wood handicrafts and artifacts is the best platform for buyers and sellers dealing in wooden products
The exhaustive list of Wood Craft Suppliers provides you with the short profile of each of the listed member and the products in which the company deals. You can instantly contact the member with the help of contact information that includes address, phone numbers and website link of the suppliers. The great thing here is that- it all comes free! You don't have to pay for any information provided on this website. For quick business deals, you can refer to the Wood Crafts Trade Leads having a lots of buy and sell offers. If, anyway, you don't find the suppliers in these sections according to your business needs, we also give you the option for posting your requirements by just filling in a simple form. You will get a quick and genuine response to all your trade queries. Just go ahead and experience the comfort of smooth and hassle free online business in wooden handicrafts.
Wooden Armoire Designs!
10 Oct 2011-Wooden armoire or wooden almirah is one of the furniture without which a home is incomplete. You require these armoires in various forms for different purposes...
» Decorating Wall, Wall Decor Ideas- Photo Gallery
» Wooden Trays- For Decoration and Serving in Style
» Wood Kitchen Utensils- Photo Gallery
» Wooden Candle Holders- Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery Archive »
Wood finishes are clear, protective coatings applied on the surface of wood. Bare wood is highly susceptible to moisture changes, resulting in constant expansion and contraction. Wooden handicrafts coated with different types of wood finishes are less susceptible to the variations in humidity.
Types of Wood Finishes The different types of wood finishes are identified on the basis of two criteria- how the finish is applied and what is left behind on the wood surface? The first category includes the wipe-on, brush-on and spray-only wood finishes. The second category includes film forming finishes and enetrating or absorbing wood finishes.
Penetrating wood finishes are those types of wood finishes that are absorbed by the wood whereas the other type of wood finish forms a protective film above the wood. Almost all the penetrating finishes are of wipe-on types. Even if they are initially applied with the help of a brush, the excess is removed after some time, generally after about 8-10 minutes.
Wood finishes can also be classified as water based wood finishes and oil finishes. Water-based finishes are simple latex paint without any pigment. They are non-flammable, easy to use, fade-resistant and eco friendly wood finishes. Non toxic wood finishes are used for certain wood crafts that come in contact with human mouth such as wooden toys. Oil finishes are natural wood finishes derived from plants. Various types of oil finishes are used to treat and preserve wood products.
- Linseed Oil Finishes: They are generally used on exterior wood siding and log homes.
- Tung Oil Finishes: are commonly used in the home interiors. They are safe wood finishes and can be used on food contact surfaces like in wood kitchen accessories.
- Danish Oil Finishes: are mostly used on interior doors and trim like for wood shutters.
Protective Film Wood FinishesThose wood finishes that form a film on the exterior of wood surfaces, cannot penetrate into the wood nor do they let any outer element penetrate the wooden surface. As such, they prove to be the toughest clear wood finishes.
- Wood Varnish: Varnish is one of the most durable finishes. The level of protection increases with each additional coat of wood finishes varnish. It can be brush-on as well as spray finish. It acts as a smooth, glossy finish. They are available in a wide variety of sheens and degrees of hardness. Varnish is usually combined with polyurethane for extended durability and protection of the finish.
- Polyurethane: Polyurethane too can be brush-on as well as spray finish. It is very popular now days due to the clear look and abrasion-resistance it provides to the wooden crafts. It is basically a plastic coating and can be used for interiors and exteriors. Though a single coat of polyurethane may be better than a few coats of water-based finish, it is prone to cracking after four to five coats.
- Lacquer finishes: Lacquer is one of the darker finishes. It is flexible, durable, and easy to maintain. Regular lacquer dries very quickly, and spray guns can be used to finish with lacquer. However, the fumes are hazardous to health. It is more common as interior wood finish. Though brush on lacquers are available, they are rarely used these days.
- Shellac Finishes: Wood shellac is a natural resin. It has an alcohol base, and gives a dark finish. Shellac dries very fast and is less likely to collect dust. It is available in two forms - flaked and liquid. Both are mixed with alcohol to acquire a thin consistency. It is fairly durable finish, but not as durable as lacquer or varnish.
Although, it is a natural resin it is not recommended for food contact surfaces.
- Types of Wood Finishes - A Comparison of Benefits and Disadvantages
- How to Choose the Right Wood Finish?
- How to Take Care of Wood Handicrafts?
- Taking Care of Wooden Furniture
- How to Refinish a Wooden Antique Chair?
» Types of Wood Finishes - A Comparison of Benefits and Disadvantages
19 Oct 2011- We all know that wood finishes are good for protecting our wooden furniture and handicrafts. However, whenever buying wood finishes, most of the people get confused about the benefits of different types of wood finishes...