- Handicrafts Information Guide
- Antique Wood Crafts
- Wood Furniture
- Garden Decoratives
- Wooden Corporate Gifts
- Wooden Decoratives
- Wood Kitchen Accessories
- Wood Shutters
- Wooden Toys & Games
- Wood Statues
- Wood Blinds
Welcome to the Online B2B Marketplace for Wooden Handicrafts Manufacturers, Suppliers, Wholesalers and Exporters. This directory of wood handicrafts and artifacts is the best platform for buyers and sellers dealing in wooden products
The exhaustive list of Wood Craft Suppliers provides you with the short profile of each of the listed member and the products in which the company deals. You can instantly contact the member with the help of contact information that includes address, phone numbers and website link of the suppliers. The great thing here is that- it all comes free! You don't have to pay for any information provided on this website. For quick business deals, you can refer to the Wood Crafts Trade Leads having a lots of buy and sell offers. If, anyway, you don't find the suppliers in these sections according to your business needs, we also give you the option for posting your requirements by just filling in a simple form. You will get a quick and genuine response to all your trade queries. Just go ahead and experience the comfort of smooth and hassle free online business in wooden handicrafts.
Wooden Armoire Designs!
10 Oct 2011-Wooden armoire or wooden almirah is one of the furniture without which a home is incomplete. You require these armoires in various forms for different purposes...
» Decorating Wall, Wall Decor Ideas- Photo Gallery
» Wooden Trays- For Decoration and Serving in Style
» Wood Kitchen Utensils- Photo Gallery
» Wooden Candle Holders- Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery Archive »
What is Wood Carving
Wood carving is the technique of creating elaborate designs in wood by hand, with the help of carving tools. Wood carving may vary from floral, traditional motifs to geometrical or abstract patterns. Carving wooden handicrafts is a laborious process as great attention needs to be paid to the minutest of details.
Articles of daily use like rolling pins, ladles, walking sticks, and combs are made from softwoods, while exotic wood like sandalwood, ebony, walnut, rosewood and teak are used to carve items of decorative value.
Indian craftsmen carve a wide range of wooden handicrafts like wood furniture, decorative panels, wooden screens, toys, spoons, bowls, trays, vases, book stands, jewel boxes, window frames, masks, idols, photo frames, key hangers, beads etc.
Wood Texture For Wood Carving
Softwood comes from trees bearing cones, most of which are evergreen. It is ideal for wood carving, since it is easy to cut, doesn't splinter, glues well and is good for laminating. Softwood includes pine, cedar, and fir trees.
Since hardwood is quite brittle and difficult to carve with a knife or chisel, the most desirable texture for best carving results is softwood with a very featureless graining.
Wood Carving Techniques Indian craftsmen are proficient in the art of wood carving. They use various techniques to carve wood. Wood carving may be broadly classified into four types:
- Deep wood carving is usually two inches deep, or more. These carvings are replete with intricate floral and animal motifs. This requires a lot of labor and skill, and is the most expensive form of carving.
- Shallow wood carving is usually half an inch deep. In this form of carving, skilled artisans carve patterns on a flat surface. This form of carving is characterized by mythological themes.
- Latticework in wood carving, involves ornate designs which are carved onto the wood. Mostly used for windows, this form of carving portrays carved motifs of interlaced foliage, animals, and birds, besides others.
- Semi-carving of wood is done on a thin panel along the rim of a surface. This form of carving is a carver's delight since it allows the grains of wood to be displayed along with the carver's skills.
The above mentioned wood carving techniques give birth to various wood carving styles such as Whittling, Chip Carving, Relief Carving, Intaglio Carving and Carving In The Round. To know more about these wood carving styles and how they suit people knowing different levels of carving, read the article Wood Carving: How to Choose the Right Style?
Wood Carving Tools
The most common tools used to carve wood include:
- Carving knives are basic carving tools. They are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Chisels have a cutting edge, and are forced into the wood to produce carved patterns. They may be of two kinds - square, and skew.
- Gouges are chisels with a partly cylindrical blade. They have curved cutting edges.
- Rasps and files are used for detailed carving. They have separate conical teeth, and are excellent for shaping decoys.
- Grinding Tools for wood carving are also called Rotary tools, these are one of the most commonly used and preferred tools. Grinding tools should be used in ventilated areas as they generate a lot of dust.
- V-tools are also known as Parting tools, have cutting edges in the shape of a 'V'. V-tools are used to make sharp incisions and fine carving. The angles of the 'V' come in degrees ranging from 25 to 90 degrees.
» Types of Wood Finishes - A Comparison of Benefits and Disadvantages
19 Oct 2011- We all know that wood finishes are good for protecting our wooden furniture and handicrafts. However, whenever buying wood finishes, most of the people get confused about the benefits of different types of wood finishes...